About Me

My photo
We provide therapy to children with autism, focusing on Pivotal Response Treatment and Physiotherapy. We are also parents to a child with autism.

Sunday, September 25, 2016

Apps and Activities for Emotional Intelligence

In a recent post, I discussed how proud I was that my son comforted another child in gym class. Here are a few apps and activities that we used to develop his ability to do this.



Touch and Say
A game for kids with autism which teaches daily routines and social skills through play and practice. Example: Feel (A Happy Face, A Sad Face, etc.), Sing (songs like 'If You're Happy and You Know It Clap Your Hands), Talk, Colour, Silly, Look, Letters, Numbers



Emotions, Feelings and Colors! Arts and Social development
From Tribal Nova i Learn With. They have a character called Poko who helps the children identify feelings.



ABA Flash Cards Emotions
Shows pictures of babies, children and adults with the following emotions: Scared, Sad, Bored, Happy, Worried, Sleepy, Thoughtful, Focused, Upset, Afraid, Proud, Frustrated, Surprised, Curious, Mad, Tired, Excited, Unhappy, Hungry, Disgusted.

Acting out a story and identifying an emotion
I wrote a bunch of different emotions on flash cards. Then I acted out a story and paused at different points. I had my son choose the emotion that matched. I chose a story that was motivating to him. It was about buying ice cream, and it falling on the floor. I had him identify about 5 different emotions. He had no difficulty with this activity what so ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment