About Me

My photo
We provide therapy to children with autism, focusing on Pivotal Response Treatment and Physiotherapy. We are also parents to a child with autism.

Monday, August 22, 2016

Getting your child to do household chores



One of my earlier blog posts was about the importance of getting your child to help out around the house. Turns out this is easier said than done. While I would get enthusiastic helpers once and a while, most of the time, I got a big “No”. I have read a lot of parent articles about whether or not to pay your child to help out around the house. At first, I was leaning to the side of not paying kids. But, it is very motivating to earn money to buy a new toy. So, we set a goal with a dollar amount, and gave the kids a dollar every time they helped out with something around the house. We wrote the dollar amount on a white board (because we didn’t have any loonies available), but giving them an actual dollar may be more tangible. After, they earned the goal, we went to the store to buy the item. An example of how motivating this can be: My son is afraid of washing machines, because the spin cycle is too loud. He agreed to come downstairs and transfer the wet laundry into the dryer. That was a pretty big win.

No comments:

Post a Comment