About Me

My photo
We provide therapy to children with autism, focusing on Pivotal Response Treatment and Physiotherapy. We are also parents to a child with autism.

Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Activity #10: Road sign scavenger hunt



Description: I came up with this activity to work on reading comprehension. I created 9 clues, that had a favourite place (like a restaurant or a park) and a description of where it was hidden in the house. The clue led them to a street sign where the favourite place was located. My son likes street signs, but you could substitute other things to hide (like shapes or animals). You can also read the clue aloud if your child can’t read yet. I also placed the clue all over the house so they would have to go up and down the stairs multiple times.
Age: 3+ (use verbal clues for kids that can’t read yet).
Purpose:
Reading comprehension
Verbal comprehension
Multistep commands
Prep time: moderate, you have to make up the clues and hide the signs (or objects)
What you’ll need: paper and makers to make up the clues
Fun Factor: My son loves street signs, so he loved this activity. He even asked to do this the next day (which meant that I had to come up with 9 more favourite places and clues). He enjoyed matching the street sign to the favourite place (and correcting me a few times). This specific activity may only appeal to kids that like street signs, but it can be modified for other kids. For example, a colour and finding an object that is that colour.

No comments:

Post a Comment