About Me

My photo
We provide therapy to children with autism, focusing on Pivotal Response Treatment and Physiotherapy. We are also parents to a child with autism.

Monday, July 18, 2016

Activity #23: One of these things is not like the others


One of lego people is a child, her legs are shorter


All cupcake cups, but one is made out of paper

Description: When I was a kid, Sesame Street had a segment where they would sing this song: ”one of these things is not like the others, one of these things just doesn’t belong”. This game is based on that. I would put four items in each box and the kids would have to figure out which one was different. I started with easy ones (three yellow blocks and one blue block, and it got harder). Afterwards they had to explain why the item was different.
Age: 3 and up
Purpose:
Discrimination of colour size, features, function etc
Expanding language
Prep time: pretty minimal, I went and gathered new items after each round (rather than all at once at the beginning).
What you’ll need: I used a serving tray and painter’s tape to divide into 4 boxes, but this is optional. Otherwise various household items and toys.
Fun Factor: I expected this to be somewhat boring, so I made a piece of paper so they could check off 1 to 12 rounds. But, actually they enjoyed the activity and I had no problem sustaining their attention. Try to use motivating and fun items.

No comments:

Post a Comment